Re: Oracle 8 & Partitions

From: Thomas Kyte <tkyte_at_us.oracle.com>
Date: Tue, 02 Mar 1999 13:46:02 GMT

A copy of this was sent to "John W. Frank" <jfrank_at_icdc.com> (if that email address didn't require changing) On Mon, 01 Mar 1999 20:42:54 -0500, you wrote:

>I have heard Oracle 8 allows partitions to span across
>tablespaces. The Oracle 8 Black Book shows an index
>with partitions in their own tablespaces.
>
>Can the same be done with the parent tables itself
>like

yes, both tables and indexes may be partitioned -- a table can now span tablespaces (but a partition is in a single tablespace)

>create table x
>( a number,
> b varchar2(5)
>)
>partition by (a)
> (
> partition_1 values equal (1)
> size...
> tablespace a,
>
> partition_2 values equal (2)
> size...
> tablespace b
> )
>;

Thomas Kyte
tkyte_at_us.oracle.com
Oracle Service Industries
Reston, VA USA

Opinions are mine and do not necessarily reflect those of Oracle Corporation Received on Tue Mar 02 1999 - 07:46:02 CST