Re: Raid 1 or Raid 0/1

From: <mark.powell_at_eds.com>
Date: Mon, 01 Mar 1999 19:58:25 GMT

In article <7beao8$hsn$1_at_news.netway.at>,   "Richard Rotter" <richard_rotter_at_mediaprint.at> wrote:
> Hello everyone!
>
> I have the following problem:
>
> We change the UNIX-DB-Server from HP (HPUX 10.20 EMC Raid 1) to SUN Solaris
> 2.6 with Fibre-Channel-Architektur.
>
> My Problem is to make RAID 1 or RAID 0/1 on the new architektur? Our
> Application is a Application with 90 pct random-access! Is it a good idea to
> make RAID 0/1 (Stripes) or make only Raid 1??????????????????
>
> reguards
> Richy

I like RAID 0 + 1 which I believe is OS level stripping with full mirroring. The mirrors protect you from loss of a disk device while the OS level stripping help prevent disk I/O bottlenecks. I much prefer RAID 0+1 over RAID 5 for performance reasons.

Mark D. Powell -- The only advice that counts is the advice that  you follow so follow your own advice --