Re: Renaming a Database

From: Thomas Kyte <tkyte_at_us.oracle.com>
Date: 1999/02/27

A copy of this was sent to "Yiannis Mavridis" <nm89035_at_central.ntua.gr> (if that email address didn't require changing) On Sat, 27 Feb 1999 05:03:01 +0200, you wrote:

>No James there is no way to change the name. You should recreate the
>database
>
>James Lewthwaite wrote in message <36D727EA.3184BBDC_at_gte.net>...
>>Hello all,
>> I am Using Oracle8 for Novell. When I install the Database it creates
>>a seed database with a <SID> of ORCL and a DB name of ORACLE. If I
>>change this in the init<>.ora I get a database name mismatch.
>>
>>Do I need to drop the seed db and create a new one or is there an easy
>>way to rename it???
>>
>>Jimmy

i didn't see the original post, however the create controlfile statement allows you to rename the database. see the sql reference manual for more info...

CREATE CONTROLFILE Purpose
To recreate a control file in one of the following cases:

o All copies of your existing control files have been lost through media failure.
o You want to change the name of the database. o You want to change the maximum number of redo log file groups, redo log file members, archived redo log files, data files, or instances that can concurrently have the database mounted and open.

Thomas Kyte
tkyte_at_us.oracle.com
Oracle Service Industries
Reston, VA USA