Re: Microsoft Excel Spreadsheet output, file format

From: tgraham <boardshorts_at_my-dejanews.com>
Date: Sat, 27 Feb 1999 14:36:05 GMT

We've got our unix box interfaced with a Netscape browser and we output text files files in a Comma Space, Quote Enclosed Delimited (CSV) format so the users download them and pull them into excel. The files are formatted with the SQL Eg.

SELECT long_record_seq, SUBSTR (LTRIM (TO_CHAR (T0.ACCOUNT_ID, '99999990')), 1,8) ||','|| '"' || SUBSTR (T2.ACCOUNT_CATEGORY, 1,2) ||'"' ||','|| '"' || SUBSTR .... etc

Once the files are written to the server in a CSV format the users can open them from the browser and use the "save as feature" Excel will walk the user through the steps to place the data in columns.

Hope this helps !