Re: Partitions, when to start ?

From: Thomas Kyte <tkyte_at_us.oracle.com>
Date: Sat, 27 Feb 1999 02:28:27 GMT

A copy of this was sent to nigel_tufnel_at_my-dejanews.com (if that email address didn't require changing) On Fri, 26 Feb 1999 23:14:48 GMT, you wrote:

>Good folks:
>
>I'll soon be working with a database that will have a handful (under 20) of
>tables with row counts in the low millions, from 4 on average to some that
>will be around 8.
>
>The total DB size will probably be around 24 Gigs.
>
>I'm investigating using partitioned tables for the large tables, but I spoke
>to some one at Oracle who said this was too small a database to get any
>benefit.

i would disagree. it'll make PDML (parallel dml) possible. it'll reduce the recovery time in the event of a failure. it'll allow for parallel index scans. it'll allow for partition elimination. 24 gigs isn't huge anymore but it most certainly isn't 'trivial'.

>Does anyone out there have any personal experience with performance gains in
>using partitioned tables, and how large a table has to be before it's
>wothwhile partitioning it?
>
>Oh, one bit of interesting information that I got was that once you partition
>a table you can't alter the partition key of a row so that it no longer fits
>within the partition. So, lets say you partition a table based on a column
>called BIRTH_DAY. Now you can't alter that column.
>
>The ability to automatically migrate a row from one partition to another may
>be introduced in 8i according to my source. :)

it is -- its there. You are allow to selectively "enable row movement" in a partitioned table.

>Thanks in advance, and best regards,
>
>Nigel

Thomas Kyte
tkyte_at_us.oracle.com
Oracle Service Industries
Reston, VA USA

Opinions are mine and do not necessarily reflect those of Oracle Corporation Received on Fri Feb 26 1999 - 20:28:27 CST