Re: Oracle8 on linux how??

From: Charles M <charlesm1NOSPAM_at_rocketmail.com>
Date: Fri, 26 Feb 1999 19:10:32 -0600

In article <36dc19bc.0_at_mnemosyne.ehs.dk>, nl2590_at_ehs.dk says...

> Hello.
>
> If you have writen a doc. on how to install oracle8 (trail download) in
> linux. Would you be so kind to send it by e-mail or send me a link.
> Please don't send the link to oracle... I read the "detaild" manual...
> But I does'nt have a clue on how to install the product propperly
>
> Niels Lynge
> nl2590_at_ehs.dk

I don't have a HOWTO but here is what I did. This presumes you are using glibc libraries (required by Oracle) -- Redhat uses glibc.

Created dba group and oracle account (with group=dba) tar xvfz 805ship.gz
As root:
export ORACLE_OWNER=oracle
oratab.sh
mkdir /u01 /u02 /u03 /u04 /admin
chmod go+rwx /admin /u0*
As oracle:
./orainst { This runs the installer - follow the prompts } As root:
cd ~oracle/orainst
./root.sh

Add the follwoing to your oracle account .bashrc :

ORACLE_HOME=/oracle; export ORACLE_HOME PATH=$ORACLE_HOME/bin:$ORACLE_HOME/buildtools/bin:$PATH; export PATH ORACLE_SID=ORCL; export ORACLE_SID
TNS_ADMIN=$ORACLE_HOME/network/admin; export TNS_ADMIN ORA_NLS32=$ORACLE_HOME/ocommon/nls/admin/data; export ORA_NLS32 LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/oracle/lib; export LD_LIBRARY_PATH

You may of course want to slightly alter some of the permisions that I used to suit your situation.

CMM Received on Fri Feb 26 1999 - 19:10:32 CST