Re: how to get rowsize in bytes for a table.

From: Oracleguru, Suresh Bhat <oracleguru_at_mailcity.com>
Date: Fri, 26 Feb 1999 22:27:44 GMT

Hi

Be aware that if you analyze a table the queries that use the analyzed table may slow down DRATICALLY, especially if it is joined with large tables or large views. That is because Oracle uses Cost based optimizer (CBO ) rather Rule based optimizer and all joined tables are analyzed at the time of select statement execution.

Here is another way to get the same thing:

If it is an already populated table, in Oracle 7.3.3, try using

select sum(vsize(col1)) + sum(vsize(col2)) + ....... sum(vsize(colN))

    from table_name;

This will give you the actual size in bytes of Oracle internal representation of all the data records in that table. In other words the size of the table.

Oracleguru
www.oracleguru.net
oracleguru_at_mailcity.com

Denny Koovakattu <denny_vk_at_my-dejanews.com> wrote in article <7b6la5$gjk$1_at_nnrp1.dejanews.com>...