Re: Question on Extents

From: Jim Leavitt <jimll_at_halcyon.com>
Date: Fri, 26 Feb 1999 12:54:32 -0800

I too had this same question, I had an opportunity to have lunch with one of the consultants we used to install our database. A principal in the firm had attended an Oracle sponsored briefing.

Oracle explained that they were not so concerned about the number of extents, and in fact recommended that next extent size could be set to some small value (say 16K) and that extent size used for every table in the tablespace. Then if an extent was freed in one table it became available for all tables (because they all had the same next extent size). You would then set the max extents to unlimited for all tables in the tablespace. Further: one should not be concerned about hundreds of extents, but rather thousands! I'm sure all this applied to 7 and above.

I haven't tried this, but it's interesting. I was originally told that anything over 30 extents needed to be cared for. I was told by someone in OWWS that creating tablespaces and tables with unlimited extents was not only a good idea, but was actually encouraged.

Jim Leavitt Received on Fri Feb 26 1999 - 14:54:32 CST