Re: Help writing simple trigger.

From: Ulrik Hoffmann <ulrik.hoffmann_at_gmx.de>
Date: Fri, 26 Feb 1999 17:55:05 +0100

>For some reason I can't figure out how to write a simple
>trigger but I know it's very common so I'll ask for some help.
>It's a busy day!
>
>This trigger updates user_name and lastedit_date on a table during and
update
>or insert operation for each row and maybe fill in the pk with a sequence
>number.... CREATE TRIGGER UPD_TRG BEFORE INSERT OR UPDATE ON dbstruct
>BEGIN user_name=user lastedit_date=sysdate recno=dbstructseq.nextval
END;

>When I write my function I get table is mutating error.
>It should operate in the same transaction as the insert update.
>
>I.E. 1 update staement+trigger = 1 transction...=1 SQL parse..
>

>Thank You very much!!!!

the following should work:

create trigger upd_trg before insert or update ob dbstruct for each row begin
  :new.user_name := user;
  :new.lastedit_date:=sysdate;
if inserting then
  select debstructseq.nextval into :new.recno from dual; end if;
end;

yours
uli Received on Fri Feb 26 1999 - 10:55:05 CST