Re: How to query remote database?

From: Lothar Dickhoff <dickhofl_at_ada.de>
Date: Fri, 26 Feb 1999 15:04:20 -0000

Hi Thomasz,

Tomasz Zalewski schrieb in Nachricht <36D6881C.2077BC93_at_computerland.pl>...
>Hello!
>
>I've got problem querying remote database. After command:
>select * from user.table_at_remote;
>I get a message: "ORA-02019: connection description for remote database
>not found ".
>I don't know what am I doing wrong. I've already defined a database link
>named 'remote'.

I've also put 'remote' in /etc/hosts file ('remote' is>the name of the remote server).
 Then I've defined an appropriote entry
>in tnsnames.ora file.
>
>I think I am doing some stupid mistake - I am quite new to Oracle. Can
>you help me with that?
>
>Harry

The Entry in /etc/hosts is not necessary. You need an SQL*Net Connection between both Databases. The Client Database needs a correct entry in "tnsnames.ora" The Server Database needs a correct entry in "listener.ora" (Before editing listener.ora, you should stop the listener e.g. "lsnrctl stop")
you should also check "sqlnet.ora", but normally itīs ok.

after editing "listener.ora" you should start the listener again "lsnrctl start".

To check, wether SQL*Net connection is ok, try on the client:

ping remote // is TCP/IP OK ?
tnsping remote // is SQL*Net correct configured ? sqlplus username/password_at_remote // can i connect to the database.

If theese 3 Tests are OK, your database link should work.

Regs, Lothar Received on Fri Feb 26 1999 - 09:04:20 CST