Re: Need help with RECOVER command

From: Sybrand Bakker <postbus_at_sybrandb.demon.nl>
Date: Fri, 26 Feb 1999 07:08:14 +0100

Hi Rich,

The recovery mechanism is there to protect the database against instance failure and media failure. It does not protect against user error. You should also perform regular exports. However, it looks like in your case the accident already happened. Don't worry: you are not the first one (I once did the same: deleting 32 rows from a table with 3 million rows, and no exports) and probably also not the last one.
So yes, you can not restore a single table, recover is no restore. You can 'misuse' recover to do so.
Basically
restore the database from the last cold backup recover database until '1999-02-?? 06:15' export the affected table
restore the database from the last cold backup again execute complete recovery.

Hth,

Sybrand Bakker, Oracle DBA