Re: Will Oracle _ever_ provide a built in SYSTEM command in PL/SQL

From: Steve Phelan <stevep_at_toneline.n-o-s-p-a-m.demon.co.uk>
Date: Thu, 25 Feb 1999 22:18:25 +0000

Point taken. But...

It'll be very interesting to see how Oracle8/IFS/raw iron pad out longer term. I'd be very suprised if more 'system' style functionality wasn't included, regardless of what Larry says about the OS being unecessary. And even if this isn't in the first cut, it'll turn up sooner or later. Oracle8 as it stands can't do everything (not that anyone, except maybe Larry) says it can, and either that 'system' becomes subsummed into a database/OS hybrid, or we stick with what we have (unlikely).

I agree with your points for now, but after 15 years worth of programming 'around' Oracle and PL/SQL (and I'm lucky, I've extensive C/C++ and UNIX internals experience as well) I understand how the poster feels. I suppose this is what gets us to Larry's current mode of thinking - it's the data and how you manage it *totally* that matters, rather than this messy OS/DB mix that we have at the moment. But then maybe raw-iron is just for the low end and will stay there (and I don't believe that's what Larry intends), or maybe Java with it's security model is the longer term 'glue' answer...

Just my take.

Steve Phelan

(Oracle 7 & 8 OCP)