Re: OFA Architecture with RAID

From: Steve Phelan <stevep_at_toneline.n-o-s-p-a-m.demon.co.uk>
Date: Thu, 25 Feb 1999 21:29:22 +0000

If you *only* had one disk subsystem - a RAID5 array - then you would *achieve* nothing in terms of performance by using multiple mount points. I'd definately put Oracle (i.e. the binaries) in it's own mount point (filesystem), but that's just for installation, maintenance and upgrade issues. I'd put the db in one mount point spread over multiple directories.

As regards performance measurement in the disk I/O subsystem, you'd only get true metrics from montioring the I/O rates of the RAID array (from OS tools outside of Oracle), and Oracle I/O metrics from looking at the SGA stats which will give you I/O per datafile values. If the RAID5 array struggles, it struggles, so you are either going to have to live with it or split it up anyway...

As regards the *type* of I/O when you do decide you have to split it, that's pretty easy with a knowledge of Oralce and a general knowledge of your application and the types of operations performed by it. I'd think the *volume* of I/O per datafile would be of far more use when deciding what to split where than just the type of I/O. And once you've decided the RAID5 on it's own is no good and you've split it up, well then you can start doing some more intensive I/O monitoring/balancing.

Leaving the whole lot on one drive also makes it much easier to backup/restore, which may be useful if this is someone's first Oracle outing...

The only reason I can see for creating multiple mount points was if you were planning to eventually move off the RAID5 array (or partially move off it) and didn't want to get invloved in having to rename your oracle datafiles, but this is a fairly simple task anyway.

Still, I really wouldn't go this route at all if I even suspected that I might become I/O bound - anywhere - with my Oracle db on a RAID5 system. Better to save yourself sometime and start with separate, multiple drives in the first place, I'm sure we'd both agree.

Steve Phelan

(Oracle 7 & 8 OCP)