Re: Diff between Oracle 6 & 7& 8

From: Sybrand Bakker <postbus_at_sybrandb.demon.nl>
Date: Thu, 25 Feb 1999 19:58:25 +0100

Hi Sankar,

This is a rather broad topic, the first version I ever saw, was Oracle 5.1.22 for Vax/VMS, after that almost every version of Oracle 6 and Oracle 7. Recently I went to the Oracle 8 New Features course. I will give this thread a start, maybe others (Thomas Kyte? Peter Sharman?) can add.

Differences between Oracle 6 and Oracle7: rule based optimizer replaced by cost based optimizer. The rule based optimizer is still there, but any development has stopped. pl/sql version 2 instead of pl/sql version 1. Full enforcement by the database of constraints. Char means fixed length, varchar2 means varying length, maximum length increased from 255 to 2000.
Shared pool, caching of parsed sql statements introduced. sqlnet v2 introduced, multiprotocol transparent network product Parallel query added
Many administration enhancements, or should we say: lifting the restrictions of Oracle 6
Introduced sysdba and sysoper roles, and passwords file.

Differences between Oracle7 and Oracle 8 - Some people call Oracle 8 Oracle 7.4. Oracle 8i probably is going to be far more of a revolution than Oracle 8.

- Rowid format changed, necessary because of
- partitioning features, both of tables and indexes, added
- new backup and recovery product added
- OOP features added (NB: Oracle 8 definitely is not an ODBMS!)
- added support for binary datatypes, basically any binary file can be
stored.

Regards,

Sybrand Bakker, Oracle DBA