Re: ADO recordsets using a stored procedure

From: Eric L. Ma <mlq_at_ndi.net>
Date: Wed, 24 Feb 1999 23:31:41 -0500

There are solid reasons to use stored procedures to return recordsets from Oracle, and performance enhancement is one of the top reasons. You normally don't want to go through the parse, execute, and fetch steps each time you run a query, especially the exact same query is run by multiple users through the web (ASP), when you can save the parsed form of the SQL in the database. Oracle can return the result faster that way.

Lou was right on target when he said returning recordsets from Oracle through ADO is not simple. Basically you have to return multiple PL/SQL tables, one for each field selected, as output parameters from stored procedures, and piece them together to form a single recordset. To see how this actually works, check out the following article at the Microsoft Knowledge base web site.

http://support.microsoft.com/support/kb/articles/q176/0/86.asp

Hope this helps.

Eric Ma