Re: SQL Loader automation

From: Thomas Kyte <tkyte_at_us.oracle.com>
Date: Tue, 23 Feb 1999 19:06:45 GMT

A copy of this was sent to "John F. Keaveney" <johnkeaveney_at_targusinfo.com> (if that email address didn't require changing) On Tue, 23 Feb 1999 09:44:01 -0800, you wrote:

>I don't think I could write an OCI application with the performance
>of SQL Loader. OCI, as far as I know, can only perform transactional
>inserts. Even using host arrays I don't think it will touch the performance
>of the SQL Loader using direct path.

wait until Oracle8i then -- a direct path loader API has been added to OCI. Same sort of constraints apply (must be on the same box as the database since you write to the datafiles, no triggers fire, constraints aren't validated and so on)... but you will be able to roll your own sqlldr if you want...

but until then -- you are 100% correct. oci cannot currently perform like a direct path load.

> Thanks,
> John
>jacob wrote in message <01be5f0b$04e52e40$ec1b1dac_at_ut9811251830>...
>>write your own sqlldr using OCI! (or better yet, use the DBI extension for
>>perl)
>>You kill two birds with one stone-> perl will easily parse the text files
>> ->DBI will shove it up
>>oracles tables

Thomas Kyte
tkyte_at_us.oracle.com
Oracle Service Industries
Reston, VA USA

Opinions are mine and do not necessarily reflect those of Oracle Corporation Received on Tue Feb 23 1999 - 13:06:45 CST