Re: Import time taking so long <<<===============================================================

From: Linda H Montgomery <montgolh_at_jmu.edu>
Date: Tue, 23 Feb 1999 13:40:06 -0500

Yes, it could make a tremendous difference. You need to tune your database for the task you are trying to accomplish. I have a little checklist I use to improve the speed of an import on our 7.3.x databases. I have seen a 50 % or greater improvement in run times.

  1. Increase size of redo log files (30M gives me a logswitch about every 3 minutes, which is the goal Oracle support told me to shoot for on an intensive operation such as an import) 1-a. Turn off archiving if enabled.
  2. Place each redo logfile on a seperate drive (or ping-pong them across as many as feasible) to eliminate disk drive contention during the import.
  3. modify init.ora to set the dbwriters = # or data file disk drives * 2
  4. modify init.ora to set checkpoint_process = true.
  5. verify init.ora parameter log_imultaneous_copies is correct for the number of processors on the server or remove the parameter if on a single cpu machine
  6. Double Check the size of rollback and temp tablespaces and be sure they are big enough (sorry, but a relative term :) )
  7. Double check the initial & next extent sizes for rollback & temp to be sure they can expand to their maximum size, and be sure to set just one large rollback segment for the import.
  8. Use the import option commit=y for databases with large tables.
  9. modify init.ora to increase log_buffer to 1,024,000

Then, of course, try to time the import so it is run during a non-peak time on the server.

When I'm done with the import, I put everything back the way it was. Hope some of these ideas help.

--
Linda Montgomery
Database Analyst