Re: Backup Question

From: Praim Sankar <psankar_at_icpb.ca>
Date: Tue, 23 Feb 1999 12:41:11 -0500

I am not sure that I understand fully why you would say oracle wants the log there.

In the book "Oracle 8 and Windows NT Black Book", pg. 762 2nd para:

"It is critical that you never restore an online redo log. In fact, Oracle advises against even backing up the online redo logs when the database is down, so that you can't accidentally restore them later. This receommendation is regardless of wheter you the database is operating in ARCHIVELOG or NOARCHIVELOG mode."

I believe ( I don't have the textbook with me) that Rama Velpuri in "Oracle Backup and Recovery" also says the same.

In my situation, I don't backup the online redo logs because of what I read.

I am running in archivelog mode but i don't do hot backups. the database instance is stopped at night and a full backup of all files except the redo logs are copied. i tested the backup strategy and it worked fine so I think I am ok. Any reason why i may be conecerned?