Re: Running two databases on one server

From: Linda H Montgomery <montgolh_at_jmu.edu>
Date: Tue, 23 Feb 1999 11:39:51 -0500

We run multiple instances on all of our servers with no problems. Some of the smaller applications are on single processor machines, while the larger ones are on larger, multi-processor machines. We are running HPUX 10.20 & Oracle 7.3.3/7.3.4. The most important thing is to make sure your server is powerful enough for what you are going to locate on it & that it is configured with values large enough to handle the multiple instances. Of course that varies with each server and application combination, but the only times we have experienced a problem was when either a Unix kernel parameter was set too small, or we had just outgrown the server with either the number or size of the instances. In each case, changing the parameter, upgrading the server, or redistributing the load to another server corrected the problem.

The other thing you need to do is be careful with your data file placements. Dont put all the logs together, or with another instance's rollback for example. You have to balance the 'big picture' across the disk, not just be concerned with each individual instance.

--
Linda Montgomery
Database Analyst