Re: Sizing Oracle server

From: Kenny Leow <kennyg_at_singnet.com.sg>
Date: Wed, 24 Feb 1999 12:16:03 +0800

Hi Jensen,

The required system that you had proposed is definitely of an enterprise level. Having needed to support of 900 concurrent users, you may need up to 2 to 4 GB of memory in order to meet the fast response time. Besides, that there are factors
that you need to consider. They are as follows, just for your guideline. But it may
varies.

  1. The number of CPUs and the speed. I suggest go up to 4 CPUs if possible and take latest speed that is available.
  2. The speed of the harddisk and number of harddisk that you have. The speed of the harddisk allows faster retreival of data and at the same time, more harddisks will reduce the problem of harddisk contention.
  3. The size of network pipe. Compare a 10 Base T to 100 Base T to ATM. They will make a different in network traffic whick eventually helps you to solve the problem of response time to user.
  4. Lastly, you may decide to have a bigger size for your DB_BLOCK rather than the default size which is 2k. The bigger size, the more DB_BLOCK can be read at one time. However, there are minor setback.
  5. Tuning memory is subjective. However during setup, take the large size in your init.ora file. Thereafter tune it accordingly.

That is about all. I hope it will help.

Kenny