Freespace in Tablespaces that doesn't show in dba_free_space

From: Lekdhjfl <lekdhjfl_at_aol.com>
Date: 23 Feb 1999 15:54:36 GMT

Hi,
I have done this testing on Oracle 8.0.4 database running on Solaris 2.6. Please go through my testing procedure and help me with my problem.

Thanks,
Sub

SQL> create tablespace my_tab   2 datafile '/u04/oradata/assurep/tab1.dbf' size 1048576;

Tablespace created.

SQL> select tablespace_name, bytes from dba_free_space

where tablespace_name = 'MY_TAB';
TABLESPACE_NAME                     BYTES
------------------------------ ----------
MY_TAB                            1040384

/* well, here Iam creating a table in the tablespace I have created
in the above statement with an initial extent of 1015808 and next extent of 16384, so that it can accomadate both of them in the same tablespace */

SQL> create table my_table (xx varchar2(100), yy number(10))
tablespace my_tab
 storage
(
initial 1015808
next 16384
 minextents 1
pctincrease 0
)

select initial_extent, next_extent, min_extents, max_extents,  pct_increase
  from dba_segments
 where segment_name = 'MY_TAB';

INITIAL_EXTENT NEXT_EXTENT MIN_EXTENTS MAX_EXTENTS PCT_INCREASE -------------- ----------- ----------- ----------- ------------

       1015808 16384 1 505 0

SQL> select tablespace_name, bytes

      from dba_free_space
     where tablespace_name = 'MY_TAB';

no rows selected

/* Now here eventhough I have a free space of 24,576 bytes
ie.. 1040384 - 1015808 = 24576 bytes
the entry for tablespace_name MY_TAB does not appear in the table dba_free_space.
This is causing me a lot of problem.
Can you explain me why it does not show in the dba_free_space table and what I should do to overcome this ..*/ Received on Tue Feb 23 1999 - 09:54:36 CST