Re: remote_os_authen and security

From: Thomas Kyte <tkyte_at_us.oracle.com>
Date: Tue, 23 Feb 1999 13:52:54 GMT

A copy of this was sent to Ton Raaijmakers <torgan_at_worldonline.nl> (if that email address didn't require changing) On Tue, 23 Feb 1999 08:52:12 +0100, you wrote:

><!doctype html public "-//w3c//dtd html 4.0 transitional//en">
>Our application builders uses the /&nbsp; to&nbsp; let users login into
>the database.
>know
>with

Don't use remote_os_authent then... As you have noted, 'secure' little operating systems like win95 let you become whomever you want (don't even need the registry thing, just make up a new login name).

in a network environment where you do not have total control over the machines that can log into the server, don't use remote_os_authent.

The only time it is marginally secure is when

in that way, a small set of trusted machines can use the / login over the network with remote_os_authent = true. any machine not in the protocol.ora list of allowed machines won't be able to sqlnet in even with a username and password.

Thomas Kyte
tkyte_at_us.oracle.com
Oracle Service Industries
Reston, VA USA

Opinions are mine and do not necessarily reflect those of Oracle Corporation Received on Tue Feb 23 1999 - 07:52:54 CST