Can anyone explaining what's happening !!!

From: <eswar_oracle_at_hotmail.com>
Date: Tue, 23 Feb 1999 10:23:41 GMT

I am facing very unique problem with SQL Loader.

This is my Table

SQL> desc prodmast_test

 Name                            Null?    Type
 ------------------------------- -------- ----
 PRODCODE                                 NUMBER(5)
 PRODDESC                                 VARCHAR2(25)
 LABCODE                                  VARCHAR2(4)
 LAUNCHMY                                 NUMBER(6)
 UPDPERIOD                                VARCHAR2(4)
 GENERIC_FLAG                             VARCHAR2(1)
 DELFLAG                                  VARCHAR2(1)

This is my control file

load data
infile 'PRODUCT1.TXT'
Append
into table PRODMAST_TEST
(PRODCODE position (01:05)NUMBER

PRODDESC position (06:25)char,
LABCODE position (26:29)CHAR,
LAUNCHMY position (30:35)NUMBER,
UPDPERIOD position (36:39)char,
GENERIC_FLAG position (40:40)char,
DELFLAG position (41:41)char,
)

This is my data in PRODUCT1.TXT ( I am testing with this two lines only)

18157BIOPHYLLINE 46151019891S92 57546SUPA HI-PROTEIN 48601119892S93 N
(Above positions are not aligned but actually positions are as per control
file)

when I run the control file I am getting below error

SQL * Loader 350
Syntax error at line 5
expecting valid column specification, or ",")", found "NUMBER" PRODCODE position (01:05)NUMBER

If you see the data seems to be OK. Then why it is giving that error.

If I change ALL Datatype FROM NUMBER to VARCHAR it is OK.

Can any one explain what's wrong with my contol file.

Please reply to eswar_oracle_at_hotmail.com

Thanks In advance

Eswar