Recovery considerations of checkpoint vs. log switch

From: <gosh_at_canada.com>
Date: 22 Feb 1999 23:05:22 -0400

I have a system that runs an online application (7.3.3 + middleware) during the day and a batch run at night. The redo logs are sized to switch about once every 1 - 2 hours during the day. During batch that frequency can reach one every 2 - 3 minutes. Needless to say I need to do something. The something we've decided on (but talk me out of it if you want) is to increase the redo log size to try to get a redo log switch once every half hour during the batch run. During the day we will force a checkpoint every hour, so as to be able to recover if the machine dies.

Given the above plan, is there any recovery advantage to forcing a log switch every hour over using a timed checkpoint strategy?

Any comments would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Casper
--