Where to Start with this Puzzle

From: Van Messner <vmessner_at_netaxis.com>
Date: Mon, 22 Feb 1999 19:10:40 -0500

    I'm on a site where we do a complete cold backup of the databases every night. The server is Novell and we're running Oracle 7.3 in archivelog mode. One of our scripts shuts down database one, then two, then three. The operating system backs up the disks to tape. Then a second script starts up database one, two then three.

    The scripts are just a few lines each.     Last night the script ran. Databases one and three came up but two did not. There was no Oracle or operating system giving me a clue as to what might have happened. The alert log showed databases one, two and three shutting down - then one and three starting up. No messages whatsoever about two's attempt or failure to start. None of the process trace files had any information on two. No trace file in the user_dump_dest location had any information.

    Do you guys have any idea what might have happened or where to start looking?

    If two had tried a core dump that was too large for a trace file wouldn't there have been some message somewhere?

    What kind of problem could two have had that wouldn't be noted but that would still have let three come up normally?

Thanks,

Van Received on Mon Feb 22 1999 - 18:10:40 CST