Weird 7.3.2 problem (ORA-07429)

From: Bret McGuire <mersault_at_busboy.sped.ukans.edu>
Date: Mon, 22 Feb 1999 14:32:08 -0600

        We've got a weird problem with an Oracle 7.3.2 server using SQL Net v2.3.2 (at least that's the version numbers of the protocol adapters I have loaded). The listener appears to start and run fine; a server is forked at connect time unless some were pre-spawned, and either method seems capable of correctly execing a server process. However, when I try to connect to this listener using SQL Net, I get the following error:

busboy:~ $ sqlplus username/password

SQL*Plus: Release 3.3.2.0.0 - Production on Mon Feb 22 14:15:33 1999

Copyright (c) Oracle Corporation 1979, 1994. All rights reserved.

ERROR: ORA-01034: ORACLE not available
ORA-07429: smsgsg: shmget() failed to get segment. DEC OSF/1 (AXP) Error: 2: No such file or directory

        The error suggests some shared memory configuration error, but I find this hard to believe. "tstshm" passed quite admirably on this system, and I am reasonably certain I have plenty of shared memory available.

        It seems very odd; SQL Net seems to deliver the request fine (several runs performed with tracing enabled indicated that the listener is indeed receiving the request correctly).

        Does anyone know of any circumstance which might cause this error to appear when in fact something else was causing the problem?