datafiles size limit

From: Nabil Courdy <moab_at_emirates.net.ae>
Date: Mon, 22 Feb 1999 14:19:22 GMT

We're getting ready to install a document management system running on Solaris and Oracle 7.3. The vendor is recommending to setup the tablespace as follows:

      One 120GB tablespace consisting of 6 raw
      datafiles, 20GB each.

My concerns are:

  1. Can one datafile be larger than 2GB in 7.3 on Solaris (2.5)
  2. Does Solaris support logical volumes or something similar which can enable me to create large filesystems
  3. My preference would be NOT to use RAW devices.
  4. Outside of the possible 15% performance improvement that RAW devices can yield, is there any other good reason to have RAW files as far as disk space management and supporting large tablespaces go? tablespaces fo?

Nabil Courdy
mooab_at_emirates.net.ae (Sub moab for mooab)