Re: Oracle master agent won't start

From: <jchack_at_nnmc.nextel.com>
Date: Mon, 22 Feb 1999 12:34:48 GMT

In article <797ga5$7jc$1_at_winter.news.rcn.net>,   "John Wang" <john.wang_at_teligent.com> wrote:
> Hi, all:
>
> I have a SUN server running Oracle 805. I cannot get oracle master
> agent to start. It came back with the same error message: "Snmp bind
> failure: Address already use". I made sure snmpd and dbsnmp are not
> running, I checked the CONFIG.master file to make sure there is no tabs.
> No use. I am curious if you have got master agent to work. I had the
> worst luck with this thing.
>
> Thanks
>
> John Wang.

You need to stop the sun agent or start your rdbms agent on an alternate port.

case% ps -ef | grep snmp

    root 628 1 0 Feb 16 ? 0:05 /usr/lib/snmp/snmpdx -y -c /etc/snmp/conf

    root 638 1 0 Feb 16 ? 0:00 /usr/lib/dmi/snmpXdmid -s case These guys are working on port 161 and traps are on 162. Kill them, or consult the rdbms docs for instructions on providing the alternate port. Also, be sure to update your /etc/services file so you won't drive yourself nuts trying to figure this out again.

Jeff Hackert
Systems Analyst