Re: ODBC connection questions

From: Sybrand Bakker <postbus_at_sybrandb.demon.nl>
Date: Sun, 21 Feb 1999 13:15:41 +0100

Answers embedded below

Regards,

Sybrand Bakker, Oracle DBA

J wrote:

> We currently have installed on our Unix box:
> Oracle7 Server Release 7.2.3.0.0
>
> I want to make ODBC connections to this server
> from a NT Workstation. I found the 'Oracle Products
> for Windows' CD, but it appears that this is dated
> stuff (and possibly doesn't work on NT).

should include versions for all windows platforms. 'Dated stuff': Your server software is also not supported anymore. Most likely this 'dated stuff' came with the server software.

> If I understand correctly, I need to install the ODBC
> drivers AND 'SQL Net V2'?

Yes

> I can get the ODBC driver by installing the MDAC components
> from Microsoft?
>
> I also see on Oracle's web site Oracle 7 drivers:
> "V 2.5.3.1.0b for SQL*Net 2.3" Should I use these instead?

No. Oracle 7.2 relies on sqlnet 2.2. Most likely a sqlnet 2.3 client is going to give problems with a 2.2 server

> Where do I get the correct version of 'SQL Net V2'?

It definitely is included with the 'dated stuff' above.

> (Another message in this group says you can download it
> from Oracle.com but it is only "included in product
> packs ... Programmer 2000/Oracle8Client Products (148M)".
> 148M -- Got to be a better way.)
>
> Also, any tips on a SQL Net connection string. How can
> I determine the name of the Oracle server?

this is just the service name in your tnsnames.ora on the server. In a 'normal' installation the SID and the database name and the service name are the same. The sid also is included in /etc/oratab or /var/opt/oracle/oratab (Solaris)