ODBC connection questions

From: J <NOmail_at_nowhere.com>
Date: Sun, 21 Feb 1999 04:22:43 GMT

We currently have installed on our Unix box: Oracle7 Server Release 7.2.3.0.0

I want to make ODBC connections to this server from a NT Workstation. I found the 'Oracle Products for Windows' CD, but it appears that this is dated stuff (and possibly doesn't work on NT).

If I understand correctly, I need to install the ODBC drivers AND 'SQL Net V2'?

I can get the ODBC driver by installing the MDAC components from Microsoft?

I also see on Oracle's web site Oracle 7 drivers:  "V 2.5.3.1.0b for SQL*Net 2.3" Should I use these instead?

Where do I get the correct version of 'SQL Net V2'? (Another message in this group says you can download it from Oracle.com but it is only "included in product packs ... Programmer 2000/Oracle8Client Products (148M)". 148M -- Got to be a better way.)

Also, any tips on a SQL Net connection string. How can I determine the name of the Oracle server?

Many thanks,
-JC Received on Sat Feb 20 1999 - 22:22:43 CST