Permission problem on v$datafile, v$logfile, v$controlfile

From: Gerry West <gwest_at_skyconnect.com>
Date: Fri, 19 Feb 1999 11:17:30 -0700

Hi All,

I am having problems accessing the v$ tables from a unix Bourne shell script.
Obviously this is a permissions problem. Oracle Tech support has not been a great help on this.

So far I have:

grant select on v_$datafile to system;
grant select on v_$logfile to system;
grant select on v_$controlfile to system;

I have tried executing my script as SYS and SYSTEM from the oracle8 unix id and
I get the Oracle error: ORA-00942 table or view does not exist.

If I select from the above v$ tables via a stored procedure or sqlplus it works,
the v$ tables are found.

Below is this simple script that creates another script to perform part of a cold backup.
$1 and $2 being sys/password or system/password.

#!/bin/sh

ORACLE_HOME=.usr/oracle8/product
ORACLE_SID=nvod
export ORACLE_HOME
export ORACLE_SID

$ORACLE_HOME/bin/sqlplus $1/$2 << ENDIT > run_cold_backup.sql
set echo off
set heading off

select  'cp '|| name || '/destination_dir' from v$datafile;
select  'cp '|| member || '/destination_dir' from v$logfile;
select  'cp '|| name || '/destination_dir' from v$controlfile;

ENDIT
exit

Thanks in advance,
Gerry Received on Fri Feb 19 1999 - 12:17:30 CST