ORA-00917 error while inserting data

From: Martin Lilienthal <martin.lilienthal_at_gmx.de>
Date: Fri, 19 Feb 1999 14:20:05 +0100

I am new to Oracle and have installed Oracle8 on a Linux system (SuSE 6.0, glibc 2.0, Kernel 2.2 Final) and I always get while inserting data into a table the following error:
CREATE TABLE test (col1 varchar(60), col2 varchar(60)); statement processed

INSERT INTO test VALUES ('Oracle test ...', 'test');

                         *

ORA-00917 missing comma

I tried this too:

INSERT INTO test (col1, col2) VALUES ('test', 'test');

but I got the same error.
I reinstalled Oracle but the problem still exists. using " instead of ' does not work. Creating tables with the varchar2 data-type works, but while inserting data I get the same error.

Please help, I need to finish my project the next days.

Thanks