Strange Fault with oracle 8 Replication

From: <tristan_at_rewards.co.za>
Date: Fri, 19 Feb 1999 09:38:57 GMT

We are currently in the process of implementing Oracle Advanced Replication between two of our sites. Our main site is running Oracle 8.0.4.2.1 on a SUN Enterprise 5000 server. The secondary site is running the same on a SUN Enterprise 3500 server. The two sites are linked by a 64kbps line. We replication scheme that we are using is asynchronous multi-master replication. During office hours, there isn't much traffic between the two sites (probably in the order of 2000-4000 transactions). At night however, we perform a batch load at the primary site that needs to be replicated to the secondary site. The batch load can involve as many as 300 000 transactions. For the moment, all database activity originates at the primary site. The database at the secondary site has not been made available to the staff there yet.

To get the data at the secondary site in sync with the primary site, we performed a full database export/import from the primary to the secondary site. We got everything up and running, as things were fine for a couple of days. Then , after performing one of our batch loads, we noticed a number of errors that had occurred in replication manager. We examined the errors to find out what had caused them, and found the following: Updates had failed because there were no corresponding records at the secondary site. It seems that the original inserts had just disappeared. We also noted that some updates & deletes had mysteriously vanished. No errors shown in replication manager or anything. This problem seems to occur with about 10% of the records that we are replicating. What we are sitting with now is two databases that are becoming progressively more and more out of sync with each other - which is no good to anyone. We have checked everything that we can think of (configs, remote triggers, etc), and we are literally stumped.

If there is anyone who has experienced a similar problem, or has an idea of what might be wrong, please, please, PLEASE let me know. I would appreciate it if any responses could be mailed to me directly (tristan_at_rewards.co.za), as well as posted to the group.

Regards,

Tristan