transaction causes internal conflict in replication

From: Maija-Leena Kangasmäki <maija-leena.kangasmaki_at_tieto.com>
Date: Fri, 19 Feb 1999 09:15:44 GMT

I found a very strange transaction that caused conflict in my replicated environment. There
were two updates to same updatable snapshot (snapshot site), same row and with exactly the same
values in one transaction. What is strange is that both updates had same old values
although the last one's old values should have been the new values from the fist update.
Because the old values are the same, this transaction causes an internal conflict, because
the first update changes the values to new ones and the last update then causes conflict
because the row cannot be found with the old values. I haven't found the program that
made these updates, but I think replication should work even though I made two identical
updates in a same transaction. Is there a fix available ? My environment is
Alpha/OpenVMS Oracle 7.3.3.6.

My transaction updates col1 from value 1 to 2:

transaction 12.445.4545

    update 1:

        col1_o: 1
        col2_n: 2

    update 2:
        col1_o: 1
        col2_n: 2

It should be

transaction 12.445.4545

    update 1:

        col1_o:1
        col2_n:2

    update 2:
        col1_o:2
        col2_n:2

Regards,

Maija-Leena Received on Fri Feb 19 1999 - 03:15:44 CST