Re: solaris and exabyte 8500 tape drive

From: Robert Klaus <bobnaoko_at_xnet.com>
Date: Thu, 18 Feb 1999 18:38:11 -0600

We had the same problem. We ended up doing a tar cvf to the tape with the norewind device. For example, tar cvf /dev/rmt/0n. Then, when you issue the same command with another file, it appends to the tape. If you were to tar to /dev/rmt/0 then the tape would rewind and overlay the previous file(s). Once all files are written to the tape you could mt -f /dev/rmt/0 rew to rewind it. Then, issue a tar tvf to read a set of files or do a mt -f /dev/rmt/0 fsr 2 to move ahead to the next set of files that you cvf'd to.

For example. tar cvf /dev/rmt/0cbn (files 1 thru 10)

                         tar cvf /dev/rmt/0cbn (files 11 thru 20)
                         tar cvf /dev/rmt/0cbn (files 21 thru 30)
then to read, or extract,  files 11 thru 20     mt -f /dev/rmt/0n rew,
mt -f /dev/rmt/0n fsr 2,      tar tvf /dev/rmt/0n

The only problem is that when the end of tape is reached the tar cvf just dies. Hope this helps,

Bob Klaus