Re: Snapshot

From: Connor McDonald <mcdonald.connor.cs_at_bhp.com.au>
Date: Thu, 18 Feb 1999 13:44:54 +0800

Julia Cristina Varela de Montoya wrote:

> Can anyone offer an opinion as to whether using a snapshot would be a
> viable way to backup a set of tables? We have a weekly batch process prior
> to which we'd like to afford our users the ability to backup the tables, in
> case something goes awry. We could then restore with scripts.
> The SQR (procedural code) to create the snapshot would drop and
> re-create it every time, ensuring fresh data, and that the snapshot table
> structure was identical to the master tables, in case they change. This
> would be the one and only time during it's life that it was refreshed (upon
> creation).
> Any potential problems someone could warn me a out?
>
> Thanks.
>
> Julia

Some options you could consider:

(1)
Pre-batch: Hot backup (database stays open) Post-batch: User goes "agggh" and wants a restore,

            restore hot backup and roll forward to point in time
            immediately before batch started

(2)
Export/Import

HTH --

Connor McDonald
BHP Information Technology
Perth, Western Australia
"Never wrestle a pig - you both get dirty and the pig likes it..." Received on Wed Feb 17 1999 - 23:44:54 CST