Re: Oracle 3.3.4 a performance dog?

From: Peter Sharman <psharman_at_us.oracle.com>
Date: Wed, 17 Feb 1999 17:34:21 -0800

Drat! Just as I was about to reply on the basis of my 3.3.4 knowledge!

Seriously, I have worked at a number of sites that noticed a performance improvement with 7.3.4, and a small number of sites that noticed a performance degradation. There were changes in the optimizer between these two releases that made selects that did a lot of in-list processing (select ... where abc in (.....)) perform slower. The upside was that most sites noticed a performance improvement.

For those with the in-list processing, I tuned the SQL to remove the in-list and things worked fine. The only problem I ran into was one site where the SQL was packaged and I couldn't do much about it.

HTH. Pete

--

Regards

Pete

Peter Sharman                              Email: psharman_at_us.oracle.com
WISE Course Development Manager            Phone: +1.650.607.0109 (int'l)
Worldwide Internal Services Education               (650)607 0109 (local)
San Francisco

"Controlling application developers is like herding cats." Kevin Loney, ORACLE DBA Handbook
"Oh no it's not! It's much harder than that!" Bruce Pihlamae, long term ORACLE DBA