Problems using serializable transaction

From: Jack <jhou_at_email.com>
Date: Wed, 17 Feb 1999 13:30:12 -0800

Hello,

I am working on an OLTP/OLAP hybrid application. I need to read from a large table more than once consistently within a stored procedure. In the stored procedure, I also stored the intermediate data in a temporary table for further processing (select, update, and delete) by other SQL statements. In the Oracle manual, it says that 'set transcation isolation level serializable' statement will allow repeatable reads and avoid phantom rows.

However, when I tried this, I have been getting the following error:

"ORA-08177: Cannot serialize access for this transaction"

At the time that this error occurred, there was only one user on the database. I have set the INITRANS to 5 for the affected tables.

Is there a limit on how long a transaction can be when using serializable transaction? What's the proper design for using serializable transaction? Is there another way of getting repeatable reads without using serializable transaction?

Thanks in advance!

Jack Received on Wed Feb 17 1999 - 15:30:12 CST