Re: oracle on a celeron or a PII

From: <alcyone82_at_hotmail.com>
Date: Wed, 17 Feb 1999 20:39:36 GMT

In article <36cc7d7c.94183515_at_enews.newsguy.com>,   dkerins_at_maxixa.com (david) wrote:
> i have two computers and want to set one up as my server with oracle 8
> NT and Linux and then use the other the other for development apps
> such as forms and reports. which would you use for a server and which
> for a development environment??
>
> thx for your opinion

Use the Linux box as the Oracle server, windows as the client. Linux is a much more efficient, faster operating system than NT, has lower hardware expectations, and does not have NT's known problems running Oracle.

I'm running Oracle8 on Linux (2.0.35 kernel) with a 1 gig TPC-D schema and a 4Mb SGA. Also running Oracle Web App Server 3.0. The machine is a single processor Pentium 150 with 96Mb of RAM and 9.6 Gig of drive space. The system runs great, rarely swaps, and is rock-solid. I doubt you'd be able to do this with NT on the same hardware.

In my work experience as an Oracle applications development consultant, every client I've worked for has used some flavor of Unix to serve Oracle, with Windows as the client desktop. Nobody uses NT to serve Oracle. Since this seems to be what the market wants, that's what I did for my own setup.

My goal here isn't to start a Unix vs. NT war (there are other newsgroups for that), I'm just relating my experience.

-Dave