Re: Running two databases on one server

From: <alcyone82_at_hotmail.com>
Date: Wed, 17 Feb 1999 19:59:19 GMT

There is really no problem with running multiple Oracle instances on one box. They'll have separate init.ora files, different ORACLE_SID values, etc. A while ago I was involved with a project where we were running four instances on a single-processor RS/6000 (stupid architecture, but that's besides the point).

You don't *need* SMP to run multiple instances, but it will sure help. Just make sure you have enough RAM to handle both instances' SGAs.

Personally, I'm not a big fan of multiple instances on one box. I'd rather see them kept on separate boxes. It's an 'all your eggs in one basket' thing.

-Dave
 DB Development Consultant