How to know when archivelog is fully written

From: Stephen Harris <sweh_at_mpn.com>
Date: 17 Feb 1999 16:38:44 GMT

Apologies if this appears twice.... server played up!

As part of my log shipping, I am performing a   alter system switch logfile
to force a new archive log to be created.

However, before I copy this file to the standby machine how can I know that the log file is fully written? I can't go by length, because the filesize can be different each time (switching log before redo fills up means the archive size isn't the same size as a full redo log), but they can still take a non-neglible amount of time to write.

So how I can know when it is safe to copy?

Your ideas much appreciated...

--

rgds
Stephen Received on Wed Feb 17 1999 - 10:38:44 CST