Controlfile problem with standby database ?!

From: Andreas Jung <ajung_at_sz-sb.de>
Date: 17 Feb 1999 09:20:44 GMT

I am just trying to build a standby database for Oracle 7.3 but I ran into some problems with the control file.

  1. primary and secondary maschine have the same Oracle setup (same path and config files (mirror)
  2. I build the standby database on the secondary maschine with the following script:
    • SCRIPT ********
QL=/ora/app/oracle/product/733/bin/svrmgrl DIR1=/lccd/reserve1/log_archs
DIR2=/ora/lccd01/oradata/lccd

rm 2>1 >/dev/null /tmp/standby.ctl

$SQL << EOF0

connect internal;
alter tablespace system begin backup;
alter tablespace rbs begin backup;
alter tablespace tools begin backup;
alter tablespace temp begin backup;
alter tablespace users begin backup;
alter tablespace admin_sz begin backup; quit;
EOF0
$SQL << EOF1

connect internal;
alter database create standby controlfile as '/tmp/standby.ctl'; alter system archive log current;
quit;
EOF1

rsync -I -v -a  $DIR1/log* clyde:$DIR1
rsync -I -v -a  $DIR2/*.dbf $DIR2/*.log clyde:$DIR2
rsync -I -v -a  /tmp/standby.ctl clyde:/ora/lccd01/oradata/lccd/control01.ctl
rsync -I -v -a  /tmp/standby.ctl clyde:/ora/lccd01/oradata/lccd/control02.ctl
rsync -I -v -a  /tmp/standby.ctl clyde:/ora/lccd01/oradata/lccd/control03.ctl

$SQL << EOF2

connect internal;
alter tablespace system end backup;
alter tablespace rbs end backup;
alter tablespace tools end backup;
alter tablespace temp end backup;
alter tablespace users end backup;
alter tablespace admin_sz end backup;
quit;
EOF2

  The standby controlfile is generated on the primary database and   has been transfered to the corresponding location on the secondary   maschine

3) The standby database has been started with

   STARTUP NOMOUNT
   ALTER DATABASE MOUNT STANDBY DATABASE EXCLUSIVE    (no problems yet)

4) For the first time I tried to activate the standby database

   without applying any logs from the primary database by    SHUTDOWN the standby database and trying to

   STARTUP MOUNT EXCLUSIVE
   ALTER DATABASE ACTIVATE STANDBY DATABASE    How ever Oracle complains with the following error:    ORA-01666: controlfile is for a standby database

That's the major problem here ! The documentation says nothing about recreating a new controlfile. Also the secondary literature says nothing.

Any idea how I must continue at this point with my standby database ? *sigh*

Andreas Received on Wed Feb 17 1999 - 03:20:44 CST