Re: Upgrade from Solaris 2.51 to 2.6

From: Satar <satar_at_my-dejanews.com>
Date: Tue, 16 Feb 1999 22:36:29 GMT

In article <7abstv$2s6$1_at_usenet01.srv.cis.pitt.edu>,   "Lisa Lewis" <lewis_at_med.pitt.edu> wrote:
> Our system administrator wants to upgrade our Oracle server from 2.51 to
> 2.6. I have never been through an OS upgrade with a production database.
> Can anyone shed some light on problems I might run into or precautions that
> I need to take.
>
> Thanks
> Lisa

Three things... 1. Make sure you have a valid backup of your database, just in case your sysadmin doesn't. 2. Make sure that your version of Oracle is compatible with Solaris 2.6 3. Tell your sysadmin to Install Solaris 2.6 release 5/98. After doing so, make sure he installs the recommended patch set to make the OS y2k compliant. It's on sun solve's website. I think it's www.sunsolve.com or sunsolve.sun.com

Here are the list of patches:

105210-18
105393-07
105464-01
105621-09
105800-05
106193-03
106828-01

Both Oracle 7.3.4.0.1 and Oracle 8.0.3 run well on solaris 2.6. I have yet to discover any flaws or bugs on that Solaris platform.

Regards,
Satar
Oracle DBA/UNIX System Admin
"Opinions are the result of the voices in my head only, and do not reflect my employer or Oracle Corporation."