Re: Help on Configuration ODBC... newbie....

From: Sybrand Bakker <postbus_at_sybrandb.demon.nl>
Date: Tue, 16 Feb 1999 21:21:10 +0100

I believe someone already responded to this one, but here goes [embedded] If you want me to, email your listener.ora and tnsnames.ora. The latter file is definitely incorrect and the listener.ora probably too.

Hth,
Sybrand Bakker, Oracle DBA

Dabezt wrote:

> I have: oracle 7 in a 2.6 Solaris
> I have
> machine name: host1

Generally speaking your service name and your database name should be the same, preferrably your SID too. Looks like your SID is WG73

> database name: WG73
>
> I have Windows 95 oracle client with oracle73 ODBC drivers
> In tsnames.ora i have this:
>
> name: pedo.world
> type: oracle_databse
> Service relationship:
> node name: host1
> listener name: LISTENER_host1.world

This doesn't look like a correct tnsnames.ora, it does look like a topology.ora. Is your listener correct? Can you actually connect using sqlplus?
your tnsnames.ora should look like
pedo.world =
(
address_list =
(address=((protocol=tcp)(host=host1)(port=1521)) )
)

your listener.ora should look like
address_list = etc...
sid_list_listener =
((sid=WG73)(ORACLE_HOME=<where you installed it))

> I need help on how to 'atack' my Solaris Oracle Server via this ODBC
> (i'v installed the odbc oracle73 driver) but i dont know what to put on:
>
> Data Source Name:

doesn't really matter

> SQL*Net connection string: (here i'v tried with T:host1:WG73, but
> nothing!)

Of course, as this is sqlnet v1 syntax, and 7.3 doesn't support sqlnet 1. If your correct service name is pedo.world the connection string should be pedo.world or tns:pedo.world