Re: Problems applying archived redologs

From: Piotr Kolodziej <pkol_at_otago.gda.pl>
Date: Tue, 16 Feb 1999 12:31:46 +0100

Stephen Harris wrote in message <7abj24$evc$2_at_nebula.mpn.com>...
>Piotr Kolodziej (pkol_at_otago.gda.pl) wrote:
>
>: How did you backup control files? BTW - is that cold or hot backup ?
>
>The best way is to "alter database backup controlfile to trace;"

But, I think, not as main procedure of backing up control file during hot backup. Recreating control file drops information about log history for example.

>Do this every night and this will ensure any database structure changes
>(eg added datafiles) will be reflected automatically in the latest trace.

I'd suggest backing up via "alter database backup controlfile to <file>" also It also reflects changes in db structure.

But to concentrate focus on your problem... If I understood your strategy, you restore datafiles, recreate controlfiles (is that?) and recover ? If so, you may not be able to apply archived logs.

If you restore controlfiles backed up just after latest archived logs ("alter database backup controlfile to <file>"), you should be possible to roll forward datafiles until last archived redo. So in your daily strategy, backup archived logs and just after that, back up control files.

HTH,
--
Piotr Kolodziej pkol_at_otago.gda.pl
Just my private opinion. Received on Tue Feb 16 1999 - 05:31:46 CST