Re: sqlnet and firewall

From: Christopher M. Day <christopher.day_at_rdbms.freeserve.co.uk>
Date: Tue, 16 Feb 1999 08:56:21 +0000

Jim,

I've got a white paper from '95 that mentions something about Oracle producing a firewall proxy server....but I haven't come across it. The part# is Part C10451 'SQL*Net and Firewalls'.

tnsping will work fine to prove you can reach your database, but rather link doing an ip ping (ICMP packet), doesn't prove anything else.

I'm aware that Oracle will try and use the same port# for the client connection as the listener, but that doesn't seem to happen on NT. Instead it spawns another dedicated server process and obtains a new ip port# to service the request.

So you end up with lots of possible port# having to be allowed via the firewall, which won't make your network guys happy.

I'm going to have a play with tunneling the named pipes driver, just to see if that remains constant. I'm assuming your clients are ms-windows based.

Chris