Flooding Log Files

From: Van Messner <vmessner_at_netaxis.com>
Date: Mon, 15 Feb 1999 16:17:08 -0500

Anyone

    One of our databases has 4 log groups of size 6M each (2 members per group). The other day I used an alter index..rebuild to rebuld a 300MB index that had thrown 100 extents. ARCH had trouble keeping up and I could see from the alert log that log groups filled faster than they could be archived. The rebuild took about fifteen minutes and not much else was putting a load on the database at the time.

    Is index rebuilding generally this demanding of ARCH? And if the index is in an "INDEX" tablespace should the rebuild need resources from the SYSTEM tablespace?

    Running a Novell server, Oracle 7.3, DB size of maybe 50G and around 1500 objects.

Thanks for your knowledge

Van Received on Mon Feb 15 1999 - 15:17:08 CST