Q:ORACLE8 server and distributed databases

From: keuning m.f.r. <keuning_at_nlr.nl>
Date: 15 Feb 1999 16:30:38 GMT

Hello,

I need some advise on buying ORACLE 8 servers. The big question is do I need the expensive Enterprise Edition. This is what I need:

                    +-----------+
                    |Server 1:  |
                    |Generic    |
                    |Part of DB |
                    +-----------+

      +-------------------+---------------------+
      |                 Network                 |

|Server 2: | |Server 3: |
|Specific DB| |Specific DB|
|Extentions | |Extentions |

I have one server (Server 1) containing a 'generic' database and I have two servers containing specific extentions to the generic database (Server 2 & 3). Clients are connected to the specific servers and should be able to access either the specific data or the generic data without having to know where the data actually is. Queries should be possible transparently upon data contained on either server.

I have seen this kind of setup work with ORACLE 7.???? Enterprise Edition. I have to use ORACLE 8 - which will be no problem ofcourse - but I don't want to spend excessive money if I don't need to. My question to you is: do I need the Enterprise Edition or will the normal edition suffice?

I would be greatly thankfull if someone could give me a quick answer because we have to decide real soon.

Michel Keuning Received on Mon Feb 15 1999 - 10:30:38 CST