Re: NT/ORACLE/RAID and Performance PAIN

From: Christopher M. Day <christopher.day_at_rdbms.freeserve.co.uk>
Date: Mon, 15 Feb 1999 10:15:53 +0000

Ross,

You didn't mention you filesystem type?(NTFS or FAT).

I would load the Oracle Perfmon extentions.

If you are being constrained to RAID5 by none dba's then I would explain the overhead in using RAID5. This usually sways them.

I would monitor the disk queues to illustrate the bottleneck on the disk controller.

To bump the performance on NT you can disable any unrequired services and set the Control_Panel->Network->Services->Server property to 'Maximize performance for Network Apps' (This will reduce the amount of memory allocated to the disk cache, which Oracle doesn't use)

Check the sql statements that are being executed, might be worth looking at SQLab www.quests.com.

Chris.