Re: Database Recovery

From: <rprabha_at_my-dejanews.com>
Date: Mon, 15 Feb 1999 00:18:07 GMT

George

        A full export comes quite handy if objects in the database are corrupt OR have been accidently dropped. But there is simply nothing like a COLD backup of the database. Imagine scenarios where a file system has been lost or some of the database files at OS level have been destroyed, export takes too much of a time and creating Tablespaces and datafiles from a full blown export process would be really painful. Export dump is purely a binary file and even slightest inadvertent write could render the export file useless.

In a 24X7 environment, a combination of fast restoration of COLD backup on tapes coupled with rolling forward the archive logs works out as a very workable and practical solution.

Also, a HOT backup is a fuzzy backup and thus it would be unwise to rely solely upon HOT backups.e.g. When applying redo logs, if one of the archive logs turns out to be corrupt, DBA will have to opt for the CANCEL based recovery. Thus odds of point in time recovery become less than the anticipated perfect score.

Ignoring some minor abberations, a methodical cold backup can assure us of permanency of various data structures stored on the storage media.

Rajeev

cliff92_at_hotmail.com